The new education funding model. The Kenyan government through the education cabinet secretary launched the New High Education Funding Model (NHEF). This model encompasses loans and scholarships for learners placed to various institutions by the KUCCPS.
This follows after the president, on May 3,2023 issued a directive for the establishment of this model.
It is already confirmed that this new model will start from affecting the 2022 KCSE candidates who will be admitted to various institutions this September.
Aims of the model
Revamping the funding system for students taking higher education
It also aims at aligning placement
Offering government scholarships and also government loans as per the financial need of the learner and the cost of their program
In addition, the model is aimed at providing equal opportunities for TVET and university education to learners who come from backgrounds that are economically disadvantaged.
Finding under this model will be determined depending on the following criteria,
The type of program the student is going to pursue
The learner’s household income brand
And also the priority areas of the government
A Means Testing Instrument (MTI) has been developed so as to assess the needs of the learners scientifically. The instrument comprises of various variables such as the background of their parents, their gender, the type of course they will take, marginalization, if they have any disability, the size of the family and also composition.
This variable will enable the state rank the level of need of different household and therefore allocate funding accordingly.
Students whose backgrounds are financially stable will be given more loans as compared to scholarships. Those from low income households will receive more scholarships as compared to loans.
According to NHEF classification, we have the vulnerable, the extremely needy students, the needy and also the less needy students. Learners who fall in the first two groups are going to receive a full government funding through loans and scholarships.
93% of the needy and less needy students’ education will be funded by the government. They will therefore be required to take responsibility of the remaining 7%.
53% scholarships and up to 40% loans will be given to needy students. They’ll have to sort the remaining 7% through their own means.
Similarly, TVET students will receive 50% scholarship and 30% loans. Their household will therefore be required to get the remaining 20%.
So as to submit an application, needy students are required to make formal applications through the Higher Education Financing Portal through the link, www.hef.co.ke
It is important to note that the funding model is not going to affect the continuing students.
The new education funding model.